I’m breathing a bit harder, with a slightly increased heart rate. I can hold a conversation.
- Brisk walking
- Biking on the flat
- Ballroom dancing, line dancing
- Raking the garden, trimming shrubs, hoeing
- Aqua aerobics
- Sports, eg golfing (carring your bag), kapa haka
I’m breathing a much harder, with a noticeable increased hert rate. I can only say a few words without catching my breath.
- Biking faster than 16km per hour
- Dance aerobics
- Heavy digging, mowing with a hand mower, splitting logs
- Fast lap swimming
- Sports, eg netball, rugby, football, hockey
- Do muscle strengthening activities that work all 5 major muscle groups (arms, legs, chest, abdominals, back).Push ups, sit ups
- Carrying heavy children/shopping
- Rock climbing, weight lifting, walking or cycling uphill, swimming
- Sports, eg, waka ama, rowing, kilikiti
Sit less, move more
- Break long periods of sitting.
- Move as much as possible during the day,eg, get off the bus early and walk, take the stairs, use house work to raise your heart rate (vacuum to music).
- You could do 30 minutes a day in 10-minute bursts.
- Walk or cycle to places in the fresh air.
- Walk children to school.
- Try out a sport or get back into one you enjoyed when younger.
- Be active with others – support will help to keep you motivated.
- Look for challenges in your area, eg, fun walks or runs.
- Do activities you enjoy – you’re more likely to stick with them.
Be active safely
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear.
- Use sunscreen and wear a hat outdoors in summer.
- Use appropriate safety gear, eg, helmets for cycling, buoyancy aids when kayaking and dinghy sailing, life jackets when keel boating and fishing.
- Drink enough water.